After two attacks on the Jewish synagogue in Essen on November the 14th and 20th, in which stones and concrete slabs were thrown at the building, a suspect has now been apprehended: The suspect is a 37-year-old Iranian man who is already known to the police.
Last Friday, the man had thrown a stone slab into a window of the synagogue. Afterwards, images from the surveillance cameras were evaluated and it was found that the same perpetrator had already damaged another window on November the 14th.The arrested Iranian is said to have confessed, but he does not indicate a motive for the crime. He was remanded in custody on Tuesday.The chairman of the Jewish Religious Community in Essen, Schalwa Chemsurashvili, expressed his shock after the attack: “If the bulletproof glass had not withstood the attack, people could have been seriously injured.”The incident has unsettled my sense of security. I once felt safe in Essen,” he told the magazine “DER WESTEN”. Anti-Semitism had increased considerably in Germany – and there were problems at schools in particular: his own niece, for example, had only been able to go to school in peace after she had declared that she was a Muslim after changing schools.